6.2.15

1 Cent Painting Project




A couple of months ago, I drew hundreds of drawings by hand and sold them for 1 cent. My online shop settings wouldn't allow items to be sold for "free," and so that was the beginning of the #1centpainting project.
The idea was inspired by this Keith Hairing quote:

"My contribution to the world is my ability to draw. I will draw as much as I can for as many people as I can for as long as I can."






Some of the #1centPainting photos in the wild.



I wanted the drawings be lasting and archival, and this dream was made possible by the lovely people at Legion Paper and Strathmore Paper. Thanks to them, the drawings were created on thick, acid-free, gorgeous paper.


@LegionPaper donated the Stonehenge 100% Cotton 250 gsm paper. This paper isn't too thick, and takes watery layers super well. The surface is very smooth, and it's great for drawing, or light mixed media.

@StrathmoreArt provided their 500 Series Gemini Cold Press Watercolor 300 gsm lightly textured paper. This paper is sturdy, and has a nice grain feel. I'd definitely recommend it for doing heavy mixed media work.
(Paper is available for purchase on their websites! See links at bottom of post)


Since the drawing were being made by the hundreds, I tried not to spend too much time on each one. The goal was to focus on using my signature shapes in every painting.







                Some process snapshots: the repetitive process of making multiples.

The #1centpainting's were shipped all over the world. Some were given a gifts, and others were for personal presents. The project was such a huge hit, that I'm continuing to create these pieces in tandem with my normal work so that they can be given to people in the future. 
                 

This project could not have been made possible without my team member Stacy, Legion Paper, and Strathmore Paper.


Check out these companies for your quality paper needs:
Legion Paper, New York: www.LegionPaper.com
@LegionPaper

Strathmore Paper, Wisconsin: www.StrathmoreArtist.com
@StrathmoreArt





No comments: